You know that the patient experience is quickly becoming one of the most important aspects of the entire healthcare experience. Patients want quality care, and HCAHPS regulations have made the patient experience a key part of value-based care.
If you’re looking to increase your understanding of the patient experience, we’ve put together a list of five podcasts that focus on the patient experience. Tune into one of these podcasts on your commute or while you’re grabbing a post-work run and expand your knowledge and ability to give patients an excellent experience.
5 Patient Experience Podcasts
1. To Care is Human, by The Beryl Institute
“Let’s say we have the best patient satisfaction…we got the best rankings…None of that matters to the next patient. So, the next patient who shows up doesn’t really care what you did for the last guy. They care ‘what are you going to do for my family?’ And so it’s this constant need to be focused on that very next patient because you’re being tested again.” – Dr. David Feinberg
The Beryl Institute’s new podcast isn’t even available in your podcast app yet, but it’s already providing great information about the touchpoints that impact the quality of the healthcare experience for patients and providers alike. Hosted by the Dr. Jason Wolf, the Beryl Institute President, the first episode is available on their website and features an interview with Dr. David Feinberg, VP Healthcare at Google Health, focusing on the human experience.
2. touch point podcast, by touch point media, 5 Stars
In touch point, hosts Reed Smith (digital tech consultant for healthcare organizations) and Chris Boyer (digital strategist for healthcare systems) discuss how digital marketing and online tools can impact patient engagement. Episodes are full of actionable discussions that come with solutions, strategies and processes in healthcare. We recommend starting with Episode 77, How Patients Define the Patient Experience, which happens to feature Dr. Jason Wolf of The Beryl Institute as its guest.
3. Studies in Empathy, by Cleveland Clinic, 4.5 Stars
Hosted by Adrienne Boissy, Chief Experience Officer at the Cleveland Clinic, Studies in Empathy takes on the concept of empathy in the patient experience. Thought leaders in the healthcare space come to discuss the human side of healthcare. Their episode from March 5, 2019 is an interview with Dr. Amy Windover from the Center of Excellence and Healthcare Communication.
4. The Patient Experience, by Professional Recovery Consultants, 4 Stars
A list of patient experience podcasts would not be complete without The Patient Experience Podcast. Dreamed up by Professional Recovery Consultants’ Chief Client Officer John Cook three years ago, the podcast helps executives understand how important the patient experience is to their healthcare journey. In their episode from last month, Cook talks about what real leadership is in the context of healthcare and how change begins within.
5. Patient Activation Network, by Patient Activation Network
A podcast made by patients for patients, the Patient Activation Network Podcast provides a platform for patients to share their stories in the hopes of educating and inspiring hope in others. Host Matt Cavallo created the network and the podcast after being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2005 to connect people living with chronic illnesses and to inspire and educate their providers with the patient story. Their recent episode tells the story of Sheila Warnock as she became the caregiver for multiple people in her life. The episode intends to encourage and educate new caregivers on their new role.
If you’re interested in any or all of these podcasts, you can follow their links directly to their sites, or visit your favorite podcast player to subscribe. If you’re just looking for a single episode rather than an entire patient experience podcast, we’ve put together a list of 12 different episodes about the patient experience.
Individual Patient Experience Episodes
- The Business of Healthcare Podcast: Episode 10, Interview with Dr. Jason Wolf of the Beryl Institute
- Listening In (With Permission): Tom Lee on the state of measuring patient experience of care
- Code Red: HIMSS’ Cybersecurity Podcast: Episode 16, How Security Impacts the Patient Experience
- Data Book by Healthcare Analytics News: Pedialyte, Hangovers and the Patient Experience
- The Hospital Finance Podcast: Patient Experience in the Revenue Cycle
- The Chief Customer Officer Human Duct Tape Show: Best of the Podcast 2018: Defining Patient and Customer Experience at Cedars-Sinai Hospital
- Intermountain Podcast: Episode 2, Transforming the Patient Experience
- Intermountain Podcast: Episode 9, Creating an Extraordinary Patient Experience in the Operating Room
- Intermountain Podcast: Episode 11, Creating an Extraordinary Patient Experience in Internal Medicine
- Practice Perfect Podcast: Episode 3, How to Create a Great Patient Experience
- Navigant On Healthcare: The Connected Patient Experience: Implementing a Customer Contact Center
- What the Health: Patient Experience
So, are you going to try out any of these podcasts? If so, let us know which was your favorite in the comments below. These podcasts have a variety of tones and formats, so we’d love to hear what you liked best.